Frequently Asked Questions

Know who to ask for

“I think I have a hearing loss, and I want to see somebody, but I don’t know who to see. What is the difference between seeing a GP, an Audiologist, a Hearing Aid Acoustician or an Audiometrist?"

The difference between the four is the amount of training each undergoes, the nature of their work and the equipment that they use:

While a GP possesses an extensive range of knowledge, they most likely do not have the necessary equipment to appropriately diagnose a hearing loss and fit hearing aids; such as an audiometer or a Kuduwave and soundproof booth.

An Audiologist is a highly trained professional who studies a 5-year degree (4 years of studying at a University and one-year community service and has at least an honours degree)

A Hearing Aid Acoustician studies a 2-year diploma

The Audiometrist course forms part of Occupational Health and Safety and is a 5-DAY course through an Institution like ACTS (Audiometric Calibration and Training Services).

Well-being associated questions

What are the 5 most common signs of a hearing loss?
  1. Turning the TV volume up to high to be able to hear
  2. Difficulty hearing in noisy places like restaurants
  3. Difficulty in hearing women and children voices
  4. Tinnitus – ringing in your ears that is usually a shrill, piercing, treble, high sound
  5. Having difficulty in following a conversation when there are 2 or more speakers
What are the consequences of untreated hearing loss?

1. Withdrawal from social situations
2. Depression, anger, stress and fatigue
3. Impaired memory and ability to learn new tasks
4. Decline in quality of life
5. Increased risk for dementia

What must I do if I suspect I have a hearing loss?

Have your hearing tested.

A hearing test gives important information about the type of hearing loss and the degree of hearing loss. A hearing test enables an Audiologist to help you to decide what the best option is for your hearing loss – ranging from surgery to hearing aids. You might also be referred to an Ear-, Nose- and Throat Specialist for treatment.